Tuesday, March 31, 2009

remove unread count in google-reader

I use google reader a lot. I've subscribed to friends' blogs; tech news, articles, world updates, and yes, even cartoons. I find it overwhelming sometimes when I have too many things to read-up, and too little time to do so. I have noticed on a few occasions that the count of number of items unread against each of my subscribed feeds, pumps up my blood a few notches, and I find myself deadlining to bring that count down to nil.

The concept is not entirely new though, as Gmail Labs has a setting to switch the unread count off from gmail labels.

I looked around to see if there are any readily available scripts to hide the unread count; didn't find any easily; and spent the next few minutes in hacking my own. And voila! You can find my script at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/45551 .

And.. Oh.. Another thing, you will need the Greasemonkey addon for this to work! :-)

This is how my gReader looks before and after the application of the script. Be easy now, my heart!

No comments: